To Monday 09 March 2020 - 05:00pm
UNIMAS BAGGED 15 AWARDS AT MTE2020, KUALA LUMPUR
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS) secured 1 special award, 3 gold, 5 silver, 6 bronze medals and 1 merit award at the Malaysia Technology Expo 2020 (MTE 2020), held recently in Kuala Lumpur, from 20 – 22 February 2020. MTE 2020 was organised by Professional Trade Exhibition and Meeting Planners (protemp) and Malaysian Association of Research Scientists (MARS).
More than 500 inventions from leading researchers and innovators, academics, research institutions, young entrepreneurs and the industry participated at the MTE 2020, sharing a common principle that invention is the foundation that drives the world's technology and new orders of wealth creation. MTE 2020 comprises of international participations from countries such as Croatia, Indonesia, Iran, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Vietnam etc.
Inventions from UNIMAS and their awards at the MTE 2019 were as follows:
SPECIAL AWARD (from Croatia Inventors Network)
- “W-D Joints The Masonry Building Retrofit Solutions” led by Ir Dr Abd Razak Abd Karim (Faculty of Engineering)
- “Intelligent Stormwater Management System (I-StoMS)” led by Dr. Charles Bong Hin Joo (Faculty of Engineering);
- "W-D Joints The Masonry Building Retrofit Solutions" led by Ir Dr Abd Razak Abd Karim (Faculty of Engineering); and
- “Feature Extraction Of Retinal Microvasculature Of Retinal Images” led by Dr. Kuryati Bt Kipli (Faculty of Engineering) & Dr Muhammad Hamdi (Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences).
- “TRIZ Based Co-Design Tool For Pusat Internet (PI) Centres” led by Prof. Narayanan A/L N. Kulathu Ramaiyer (Institute of Social Informatics and Technological Innovations);
- “Dengue Hotspot Identification System” led by Assoc Prof Dr Jane Labadin (Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology);
- “Eksplorasi Reka Bentuk Dan Fungsi Alat Permainan Kanak-Kanak: Cerebral Palsy” led by Assoc Prof Dr Musdi Bin Hj Shanat (Faculty of Applied and Creative Arts);
- “Body Enclosure For Corpse” led by Assoc Prof Dr. Saiful Bahari Bin Mohd Yusoff (Faculty of Applied and Creative Arts); and
- “ASELTY: Online Disability Assistance In Community-Based Rehabilitation Centre” led by Encik Ahmad Sofian Bin Shminan & Dr Lee Jun Choi (both Faculty of Cognitive Sciences and Human Development).
- “Educational Tool: Scientific Inquiry System For Chromatography & Spectroscopy” led by Prof Madya Dr. Sim Siong Fong (Faculty of Resource Science and Technology);
- “Environmental And Biological Cues For Blooming Of Sergestid Shrimps Acetes (Decapoda: Sergestidae) In Miri, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo” led by Assoc Prof Dr Ruhana binti Hassan and En Abang Mohammad Hudzaifah Abang Shakawi (Centre for Pre-University Studies);
- “PeatCrete: Subgrade Stabilization of Road Embankment Construction” led by Ir. Dr. Norazzlina Bt M. Sa'don (Faculty of Engineering);
- “Digitising Sarawak Material Culture” led by Dr. Faridah Binti Sahari (Faculty of Applied and Creative Arts);
- “Eco-plastic” led Dr. Vu Thanh Tu Anh (Faculty of Resource Science and Technology); and
- “The Sarawak Malay Houses Of Kampung Seberang Hilir” led by Puan Yon Syafni Binti Samat (Faculty of Built Environment).
- “Design And Develop Low Cost Smart Device On Evaluation And Monitoring System Of Occupational Noise In Factory” led by Encik Mohd Azrin Bin Mohd Said (Faculty of Engineering)
The excellent performance by researchers from UNIMAS has provided encouragement and motivation to persevere and industrious in their research endeavours. With the excellent haul of 15 medals and awards, this has provided UNIMAS with strong encouragements that these innovations would lead towards commercialisation, and ultimately power UNIMAS towards the attaining excellence in the research and innovation ecosystem.